Monday, August 16, 2010

SONIC YOUTH
Evol - (1986)

Sonic Youth made their first moves toward rock with EVOL, a stunningly fluent mixture of avant-garde instrumentation and subversions of rock & roll. The band benefits greatly from the addition of structure, which gives its aural experiments a firm grounding, but the addition of drummer Steve Shelley is essential to the group's new, dangerous edge. With the added propulsion, the fearless rush of "Expressway to Yr Skull" (aka "Madonna, Sean and Me") and the near-pop of "Green Light" are undeniably powerful as are the eerie textures of "Shadow of a Doubt."

http://www.mediafire.com/?5cqnkjqv6j4yvxd



1 comment:

  1. I am a Sonic Youth fan. There is a ton of material to wade through. When EVOL came out Chicago radio station WZRD played it one late night. I wasn't too impressed. Too many quiet parts for me. "Sister" came out and I was blown away(bit louder I suppose). I went back and bought EVOL it still did nothing. "Dreamday Nation" came out and I was again floored. Gave Evol another listen(it's ok). Fast foward to the late 90's and I buy EVOL on CD. I think it's brillant. I think of all SY vast discography I come back to EVOl the most now. Long story short(2late), I wasn't quite ready for it. If you don't dig this at first please hang in there,its really worth it. NYGHost&Flowers & WashingMachine have still not won me over.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails